I have begun this blog to give friends and family, and maybe even strangers a window into my heart. I want to Live each day to the fullest, Laugh every day and Love like I have never lost.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Forever Changed Part 1
For those of you who don't already know me. I am above all a mother. This role has brought me many wonderful joyous moments. But it has also brought me the greatest pain I hope to ever bear. I became a mother on February 8th, 2004 when Cameron Ashton-Marshall was born at 12:07 am. I had never felt more blessed than the hours and days and weeks after we brought him home from the hospital. I never knew I was capable of loving somebody so much. When Cameron was two weeks old we found out he had a rare cystic adanomoid malformation on one of his lungs. He was scheduled for surgery at Sacred Heart Medical Center only a week later. I was terrified. I held him in my arms and sobbed for hours the night we got that phone call. The fear of the unknown, was overwhelming. We (I say we because I stayed at the hospital with him) were admitted into the hospital the end of Feb. and he would have his surgery on March 5th, 2004. The moments that led up to him being put under were horrifying to a new mother. He couldn't eat for many hours before, when he normally ate every hour or two. He had IVs in places I have never even seen adults have them. He did not cry, but at a mere 3 weeks he looked confused and concerned. He seemed to me the bravest little man ever and handing him to that anesthesiologist was the hardest thing I had ever done to that point. He did amazing though, they removed the lower lobe of his left lung and he recovered so quickly. It was not as hard as first imagined, but the fear of losing something already so precious was unbearable. I saw many children that had worse ailments and sicknesses than my son, and I was grateful for his renewed health. We never took him for granted, never wished he wouldn't cry and never stopped worrying for his safety. He made me happier and more fulfilled as a person than I had ever been before. My role was to nurture and love him with all my heart and I can honestly say I did that, especially as a baby. He is 4 now and it is hard to imagine he was ever sick or had something inside of his little body that was toxic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can so relate to your experience with your son's surgery. I was 22 when my oldest, Tifiny had her first of six surgerys. I remember just sobbing as they took her from my arms to take her back to the OR.
She was only six months old, looking over the sholder of the nurse at me while crying. Oh, God..it just broke my heart. After the surgery, while in recovery I could hear her crying(you know the sounds of your baby's cry) from the waiting room.
I couldn't wait any longer and just burst into recovery, saying that is my baby crying. As I looked at her, her eyes bloodshot and bleeding from the surgery... I just wanted to take her place. I held her, she stopped crying...she was my everything, as all my children are. It is hard being a mom, especially during times like that. As my children have grown, new challenges, crushed spirits, and broken bridges have too encompased my life. I just want the best for them...I just have to realize that I can't always give it to them...I much teach them to take it, and only hope that they do. Children are a gift from God, one day he may miss them terribly and decide to bring them home to him....I have come to realize...I only have this life with them...It is time to make it the best. Thanks for sharing.
Marylea
I've nominated you for an award.
Post a Comment